Maria’s Bakery Cafe, a small “hole in the wall” diner exclusively serving home-style Chinese food in the Congressional Village shopping center at Rockville Pike and Halpine, will close on September 4 with the owners’ retirement. They’ll be returning to Hong Kong to join family and friends, but they certainly made lots of friends in the region through their pastries, bao, soups, and entrees served from a busy open kitchen at reasonable prices. On Friday, the lunch line stretched to the door and I enjoyed my last cha sui bao and bought a jar of their special hot pepper oil as a souvenir (and a customer in front of me bought 3 jars!). I suspect more of their customers will be stopping by for their last meal over the Labor Day weekend.
Join 335 other subscribers
Top Posts & Pages
- ‘Everyone Can Be Great Because Everyone Can Serve’ January 31, 2023
- Winter Travel Tips to Drive Safely January 31, 2023
- Black History in Our City January 31, 2023
- Manage Pain, Get Fit, and How Drugs Interact: This Month, at the Senior Center January 31, 2023
- Walk Safely! Tips for Sharing Rockville’s Roads January 31, 2023